What kind of life do you want? What kind of business do you want to run or be a part of? What does "success" mean to you – and what impacts your ability to be successful? Successful business people share 9 characteristics, and we all have the potential for greatness if we can train ourselves to keep these characteristics in mind as we go about our business day.
1. They don’t blame. Instead of making excuses for bad outcomes or reassigning responsibility or blame to others, they "own" it and then take time to learn from their mistakes. American Arnold H. Glasow said that "A good leader takes a little more of his share of the blame, a little less than his share of the credit."
2. They are decisive and they have a vision. They take quick, decisive action aligned with that vision. They’re action oriented, always pushing forward toward their goals.
3. They trust their intuition. If something seems like it’s not quite right, they trust that instinct. If an opportunity excites them and sounds like a great idea, they go for it.
4. They are singly focused on their CORE business. Successful entrepreneurs and business leaders may be inspired by ideas, but they always remain true to their vision. They focus on opportunities that are aligned with their business’s purpose. All of their efforts, and FOCUS, help them move toward their main goals.
5. They are marketing focused. They understand the importance of building on their core business. They hire people with specialties in marketing. They work hard at building their networks and contact lists, gaining exposure, and are constantly looking for ways to reach a wider, yet targeted, audience.
6. They understand the importance of continuing education. Successful business people are always learning and drawing from other people’s experiences. They are constantly learning about new approaches and strategies, and thinking about how they can apply it to their own business. Ralph Waldo Emerson famously said, "Every man I meet is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him."
7. They are not afraid of making mistakes. Mistakes are building blocks for success and by making mistakes, they learn what works, and what doesn’t. They don’t have to get it right, they just have to get it going. We all make mistakes, and one of the most powerful things they do is glean feedback from them. Feedback is a great way to learn from customers and colleagues. See mistakes as learning lessons.
8. They model their business for success. They constantly look for models of success in everyday life and think about how to incorporate these lessons into their own strategy. They even look at their competition for answers. Whatever business you’re in, subscribe to industry newsletters, monitor relevant blogs, ask for input from customers, buy competitive products, and learn how others create success.
9. They build a team to rely on. No matter what stage they are in with their business, they realize that they simply cannot do it all. No one can be an expert in everything and no one has the time to even try to be. Create a great team of people. Have people that cheer each other on, encouraging one another’s success – employees with both the skill and the will to be successful.
These are some inherent characteristics of successful business people. If you can keep these principles in mind, you stand a much better chance of being able to live the kind of life you want to live.